Do You Want Good Staff or GREAT Staff?
There’s a big difference between “Fair” and “Good” staff. And there’s even a bigger difference from “Good” and “GREAT” staff.
Which do you prefer for your business?
What sort of consequences can staff have on your clinic?
There are 1 of 4 things that will happen and it’s based on the impression your staff makes on a new patient. And it’s not just the therapists that new patients are judging. It’s everyone–your receptionist, Patient Advocate, aide and even the person who talks to them about the finances.
Here are the consequences:
- If the patient feels the interaction is BETTER than what they expected. The patient will easily commit to your rehab program. There’s a high chance that they tell others how great your office is and may even refer someone within days. They will continue in their program AND spend more cash out-of-pocket on your elective/wellness services.
- If they feel the interaction MEETS their expectations. They will listen to you and engage. And they will come for sessions but will stop if the program becomes stale or boring.
- If they feel the interaction is BELOW their expectations. They start questioning their decision. They may appear cordial but are actually very critical. They start thinking of other options. Some may give you one more try (if referred by physician) but only a few. And if they do give you a second chance, you have to knock it out of the park or they’re done.
- If they DON’T LIKE YOU at all. They are done. They don’t come back. And if by some miracle they come back for one more session, it’s difficult to pull out of the negative impression made already so they end up leaving…never turning back.
*It’s not always easy to know what a new patient is thinking. It may appear they are enjoying it when in actuality they are not. Many people are hard to read.
A Big Misconception You Must Know
I know you’ve heard the saying, “Surround yourself with great people in order to have a great business.” But I’ve learned this is a myth; It simply is not true.
Great staff don’t just appear out of thin air or just happen to cross your path…
It can be dangerous to believe that your job is to merely find “a great one.”
I learned the hard way, through trial and error (over 19 years, 7 clinics, and over 100 employee hires) that a person doesn’t come to you neatly packaged and labeled “Great”, AND…
That it’s not me that makes an employee great either,
…it’s my “system.”
And my system is made up of 5 parts.
It’s my system that produces great employees who understand that they are part of a team, a family, and their loyalty and performance is essential for the health and success of the family.
It’s the system that holds them accountable.
It’s the system that trains them to be great.
It’s the system that builds strong bonds of friendship and loyalty with one another.
It’s not me, it’s the system.
Their belief is in something greater than just me, one person, or our services.
I’ve come to learn that…
- There is a very important THING you must do during every new employee orientation. It must be the first THING you do before they even start their job.
- And if you have established employees now, you must have a 30-minute training discussing this ONE THING with them immediately.
- You must know how to reward staff without using money as a “teaser” AND know how to punish staff in a certain way that inspires greater performance and loyalty.
- There are 3 clinical “injection trainings” that must be made if you want staff to dramatically increase the value of each session.
- You must train in a very particular way, at a certain time, for a certain duration, covering very certain topics, AND it must be done by a certain PERSON (and that person is not you).**
- There is a secret to getting staff to do what you want them to do. But it’s NOT common sense and most do it incorrectly so they always struggle with staff resisting any changes or new implementations.
- You need two types of reviews and without them you’re doomed, literally.
And what you end up with when you create a “system” like this is…
- More word-of-mouth referrals (the best kind).
- Less No-shows and last min cancellations.
- More cash elective sales.
And you enjoy…
- More freedom without the worry of bad news.
- Staff who take pride and ownership of the company.
And you experience…
- Less headaches and stress.
- More fulfillment and purpose.
Mmmm…it’s very nice.
If you want to learn more about my system, let me know in the comments below and I will consider doing a free webinar training on it. Make mention of HOW IMPORTANT this training would be to you.
Here’s what just some of my past employees had to say…