When nothing is going right…
I learned early on that I am not always right.
So when nothing is going right, I now go left.
I started my first practice, straight out of school, when I was 26 years old (and thought I knew everything) and it failed.
So, I started doing the opposite of everything I knew…and it led to great things.
Here are 11 things I did the opposite of when starting over in my second try at private practice.
- I stopped saying, “It’s nice to meet you.” when greeting new patients.
- I stopped asking, “How are you?”
- I stopped trying to treat ALL conditions sent my way.
- I stopped going door-to-door to doctor’s offices.
- I stopped verifying benefits.
- I stopped reminder calls to patients.
- I stopped being a perfectionist.
- I stopped hiring friends and family.
- I stopped saying “Yes” all the time.
- I stopped advertising “Physical Therapy”
- I stopped being obsessed with “self”
And what resulted was something great.
I started connecting with patients at a much deeper level. I made more money (even though I stopped chasing it). I ramped up very quickly. I enjoyed treating again…(sometimes running a business can make you not enjoy it).
I realized I didn’t know everything.
So now when something doesn’t go right, I go left 🙂